how to cook sayadieh fish rice recipe
Recipe date: 02/03/2015
1500-1700 gms. Hamour or Subaiti fish
5 cups long grain rice, washed and strained
1 cup vegetable oil
½ cup pine seeds
½ kg onions, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
½ cup flour, mixed with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
Serves 8 – 10 persons
1. Thoroughly clean the fish. Dry and cut into 6cm thick slices.
2. Crush garlic with spices and salt. Use it to rub the fish as well as the head from inside and out. Roll the fish pieces in flour (optional).
3. In a medium saucepan, heat 5-6 tablespoons of oil. Stir in the pine seeds until golden quickly remove and allow to drain.
4. In the same oil, fry the onion, constantly stirring until the onions are browned evenly. Avoid burning the onion.
5. Add the rest of the oil, fry the fish on both sides until it is golden.
6. Strain the oil. Add about 3 tablespoons back to the pot. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the fried onions, then add the rest to the pot.
7. Add 8-10 cups water and cook on medium heat until it boils and the fish is almost cooked. Season to taste.
8. Meanwhile, in a medium pot, heat ¼ cup of the strained oil in step 6. Stir in the rice until it’s grains are coated.
9. As soon as the fish is cooked, pour through a strainer 7 ½ cups of the fish stock on the rice. Reserve 1 ½ cups of the fish stock to prepare the sauce.
10. Gently mix the rice, reduce heat. Cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
11. Meanwhile, skin and de-bone the fish and prepare the sauce or carefully arrange the fish on top of the rice after simmering. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
12. To serve, remove the fish, fluff the rice with a large fork. Serve into a large serving dish. Cover with fish, fried onions and pine seeds. Serve with sauce.
1 ¼ - 1 ½ cups fish stock (prepared in step 9)
2 teaspoons corn flour (optional)
1 ½ - 2 teaspoons lemon juice
A dash of black pepper powder
A dash of ground cumin
Salt to taste
1. Strain the fish stock.
2. Dissolve the corn flour in 2 tablespoons of the fish stock.
3. Bring the fish stock to a boil, stir in the corn flour mixture and continue stirring for 1 minute.
4. Remove from heat. Add lemon juice and season to taste, then serve